Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Zumba

I heard of Zumba months ago (but reading about it, it actually started early 2000). It was (and I guess still is) popular among people who love to exercise through dancing. I was not to keen on this one. I don't know. I did join retro dancing group in my gym when I was just starting with my workout at the gym. I was heavy then at 165 pounds thereabouts. I cannot do much exercises back then. Or maybe more like I do not want to. I was a gym newbie.

So anyway when I finally decided that I need and want to lose weight I am going to be strict with my diet and will try different workouts my body just need to lose fat and develop muscles. It worked for me. I explored weights and high intensity cardiovascular exercises like body pump an body combat. I enjoyed them immensely.

When I got leaner and leaner I became more daring with my exercises. I had the courage to do increase weights. I checked the internet for more workouts which can steadily tone my muscles.

In other words I forgot all about dancing. That's not anymore what my body needs. I may sound mean but when I take a look at Latin dancing group exercise now as well as retro, I see heavier women as well as older people. Wait, I do not discriminate. I was just thinking I have passed that stage in my gym life. I need more resistance training, more toning exercises.

As in any other new "in" thing, a lot of people were talking about Zumba when the world discovered it. As I have said, I was not interested. I need muscles. And I don't think I can get it from dancing.

BUT I have to admit though that I was curious to try it when my gym finally (as in after 48 years) launched it two weeks ago. I want to try and see how it will fit me.

I had a chance to try Zumba yesterday afternoon. The room was full to the brim! At the start I was telling myself "oh no, this is not for me". It started slow plus I was thinking the instructor was not that good.

I was wrong! Totally. The mood picked up a few minutes, maybe 10 minutes, after it started. I love it! I love Zumba not just because it's a good cardiovascular exercise but because I FEEL SEXY DOING THE DANCE MOVES. What can beat that? Know what? This particular dance is great to do with friends along. It's fun! I had fun. I know I will join Zumba class again, and again. My gym shirt was soaking with sweat like I dipped it in a bucket of water. It was great that I thought of taking with me another shirt.

Oh well, my curiosity paid off. Joining Zumba is one good experience in my gym life. :)

I'm excited to note that there are several kinds of Zumba offered to cater to a participant's needs and wants. I explored their website and learned that there are Zumba Gold, Zumba Toning, Aqua Zumba, Zumba in the Cirtuit, etc. There's even Zumba for kids - Zumbatomic. I wish Zumba Toning and Zumba in the Circuit will be offered in my gym. I have to ask that.

In the meantime I will be enjoying Zumba at least twice a week.

Here's one example of Zumba dance steps. I love the energy!

No comments:

 
Powered by Blogger